Backpack to the Future 2017
Dear Community Member,
We at The Irie Rose Family Charity, Brunch with Bink, and our university community partner, the Alonzo A. Crim Center for Urban Educational Excellence at Georgia State University are working together for the 5th Annual Backpack to the Future Book Bag and School Supply Drive.
We envision every child in our community having all the tools they need to be successful in the classroom as they begin the school year. This vision can be hampered for many families in our community whose budgets are already stretched thin. This is where we as a community can step in and support our children.
By focusing on an entire school, over the last 5 years we have given away over 1700 brand new book bags (that the children can choose!) with all the school supplies they need for the year in the bag (based on the official school supply list from the school). In addition, we have helped 2 nursing stations be fully stocked for the year as well. These supplies include (but are not limited to): soap, deodorant, feminine products, children’s underwear and children’s aspirin.
The schools we have sponsored are the following: Dunbar Elementary, Gideon Elementary and Thomasville Heights Elementary. All of these schools are Title 1 schools and over 90% of the students qualify for the free and reduced lunch program. And 100% of these students have greatness waiting for them—we can help them get there!
This year we will be returning to sponsor the 486 students of Thomasville Heights Elementary School and the nursing/student health supplies needed for the year.
We’d love for you and your business and/or your family to be a part of this important work in our community. Each business and individual sponsor will be named on the Alonzo A. Crim Center website and mentioned in all media publications. Please note: any additional book bags/supplies beyond the 486 needed will be donated The City of Refuse (homeless shelter).
HOW TO GIVE
There are several ways you can support this drive:
· Purchase book bag(s) and supplies (see below): The average cost for 1 book bag + a full year of school supplies for a child is: $48 (book bags cost: $10/supply cost: $38)
· Donate supplies from the supply list (see below): Example: we need 5000 packs of loose leaf notebook paper.
· Monetary contributions: all money will be tracked and used for the purchase of supplies.
Ways to give
To purchase book bags and/or to give monetary contributions, please click on the following link: http://crim.education.gsu.edu/aboutus/give-alonzo-crim-center/
· Go to “Contribution Options”, and under “Payment Online” go to “Please go to our giving form”-click on this link.
· Indicate amount and for “type of gift” choose “one-time gift”
· IMPORTANT! Go to the “Comments” box and type “Backpack to the Future Book Bag Drive”
· Click “no” for “Is this a pledge payment”
· Finally, type in your billing information
· Ignore the Matching Gifts and Tribute Information sections
For process checks, please email: Dana E. Salter, Associate Director, Alonzo A. Crim Center for Urban Educational Excellence at Georgia State University @ firstname.lastname@example.org
DROP OFF DATE AND SUPPLIES
· July 15, 2017 from 10am-2pm @ Thomasville Heights Elementary (1820 Henry Thomas Drive SE, Atlanta, GA, 30315)
· July 17-August 5, 2017 from 9am-4pm @ the Alonzo A. Crim Center for Urban Educational Excellence (30 Pryor St. SE, Atlanta, GA, 30303)
Whether you are a local business or an individual- we are all a vital part of this community and holistically supporting our community’s children so that they can live their best lives enriches us all. Your support is greatly appreciated and we look forward to working with you to help students in our community start the year off right.
For more information or questions, please contact: Nishona Curry, Executive Program Director-Jumpstart at Georgia State University @ email@example.com
The 5th Annual Backpack to the Future Team:
The Irie Rose Family Charity, Brunch with Bink, The Alonzo A. Crim Center for Urban Educational Excellence
Find the Supply Lists by Grade Level below